The objectives of the course are to provide students with information on:
- having a general knowledge about the functioning of international law, which is one of the foundations of public law
- learning working mechanisms of international organizations frequently encountered in daily life and understanding the importance of these organizations for Turkey
- acquiring the knowledge of fundamental rights that every citizen should have and how to protect these rights
- acquiring basic information about international mechanisms that ensure the protection of human rights
- learning how to read and analyze court decisions by reading important decisions on human rights
- learning what women's rights that are of the highest importance today
- learning the legal dimension of the climate crisis, which threatens the future of the world
- learning how issues that appear in the news every day, such as artificial intelligence and refugee law, are arranged in the field of law
Students taking this course will have basic knowledge about the following topics:
- How states establish legal relations with each other in international law and how they resolve disputes
- For what purpose international organizations are established and how they work
- Why human rights are important and how they are legally secured
- How the understanding of human rights can be different and protected differently in different parts of the world
- The rights protected by the European Convention on Human Rights and how a case is taken to the European Court of Human Rights
- The content and importance of the Istanbul Convention on women's rights
- The mandatory steps that states should take legally on the climate crisis
- How a legal order is established in artificial intelligence and refugee law issues
The materials to be used in the course, reading texts, case examples and contracts will be shared with the students.
WEEK ONE: INTERNATIONAL LAW AND HUMAN RIGHTS LAW
Course 1: Introduction to International Law
• What is international law?
• What are the sources of international law?
• Dispute resolution in international law
Course 2: International Organizations
• History of the United Nations, the Council of Europe and the European Union
• Bodies and working mechanism of the United Nations
• The Council of Europe's how it works, and what is its importance for Turkey?
• Its effects on the European Union and Turkish law
Course 3: Human Rights
• What are human rights?
• What are the basic human rights conventions?
• What are the obligations of Turkey in the field of human rights?
Course 4: Human Rights Protection Mechanisms
• United Nations human rights protection mechanisms
• Differences between universal and regional human rights protection mechanisms
• Overview of human rights in America and Africa continents
SECOND WEEK: CURRENT TOPICS IN HUMAN RIGHTS
Course 1: European Convention on Human Rights
• What is the European Convention on Human Rights?
• What is the importance for Turkey of the European Convention on Human Rights?
• Who can apply to the European Court of Human Rights?
Course 2: European Court of Human Rights
• Content of the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights
• Functioning of the European Court of Human Rights
• Group presentations on the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights
Course 3: Current Issues
• What are women's rights?
• Istanbul Convention and its importance for Turkey
• What is the Climate Crisis and what are its repercussions in international law?
• What obligations do the Kyoto and Paris Conventions on the Climate Crisis impose on states?
Course 4: Current Issues
• What are the regulations in international law on artificial intelligence?
• What is refugee law?
• What are the obligations of Turkey on refugees?