Basics of Nanotechnology – Gülay Dereli
This course will introduce the fundamental principles behind nanotechnology and nanomaterials, paying special attention to applications of nanotechnology. During the lectures, there will be visits to research laboratories of Koç University. Lectures will provide the students with the experience of reviewing and discussing some of the latest scientific articles in this field.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Buckyball discovery:
- Basics of the electronic structure of atoms, molecules and nano-particles. ”There is plenty of room at the bottom”
- Scientific Method. An example: Periodic table of chemical elements
- Scales of the universe: Powers of ten
- Size matters: Standard units
- What makes nano special?
- Forms of carbon:Diamond,graphite, coal
- Graphene and carbon nanotubes
- Nanoscience tools:
- Electron microscopes. STM. AFM
- Nano-fabrication methods
- Electronics and Sensors
- Communications and Information storage
- Risks of Nanotechnology.
” by Linda Williams and Wade Adams.