Exploring the Universe: From the Earth to the Stars and Beyond – Tekin Dereli
This is going to be an introductory series of lectures where both the over-simplification of popular lectures and complicated mathematical derivations are avoided. Though a good knowledge of algebra and some basic trigonometry are essential. I will take care to stay away from derivatives and integrals.
- Motion on Earth. Galileo Galilei: Free fall of objects. Projectiles. Isaac Newton: Universal law of gravitation.
- Our solar system: Kepler’s laws. Planetary orbits. Comets.
- Artificial satellites. Geostationary orbits. GPS.
- Space travel. Going to the Moon and the other planets. Rockets. Slingshot orbits. A brief history of space missions.
- Reaching for the Stars. Space telescopes. How far? How bright? What color? The life and death of stars.
- Our Milky Way Galaxy and beyond.